The Human Rights and Democracy Media Center “SHAMS” welcomes the positive tendency of the political level towards holding General Elections, which will have a positive impact on promoting community reconciliation and social cohesion if taken under a set of constructive decisions that lead to inclusive and well-considered transitional justice.
“SHAMS” Center underlines the importance of achieving national reconciliation among the Palestinian parties, especially community reconciliation, to overcome the deep obstacles of division in the political and social cohesions. Consequently, “SHAMS” Center calls on the quick achievement of the long-awaited community reconciliation between the families of victims, and the enhancement of tolerance and compromise values among these families through interactive insights to ensure tackling the problem at its root. And not merely providing the political measures despite its importance, with the need to take the necessary steps to hold the Palestinian elections, create an environment for it and activate the reconciliation agreements.
On the occasion of the International Day for Tolerance, “SHAMS” Center calls for:
- Accepting the elections results by all parties whatever it is, this will restore legitimacy to institutions and promote community safety and social cohesion.
- Institutionalization of reconciliation through the establishment of a national institution on behalf of the Palestinian Transitional Justice Organization, having legal personality and financial & administrative autonomy, works on:
- Discovering the truth of the violations occurred over the recent years and being honest with citizens about it, taking into consideration personal freedoms and the right to privacy & confidentiality, as a remedial measure.
- Establishing accountability mechanisms that prevent impunity and enable the judiciary to consider violations of human rights that have been committed impartially, independently and transparently, provided that the standards of international conventions ratified by Palestine shall be the reference, including the International Covenants on Civil and Political Rights, and the International Covenants on Economic and Social Rights, And the Convention against Torture.
- Contributing to the reform of the judiciary based on the principle of the independence of the judiciary, which is expected to consider violations that have been committed in a manner that will achieve justice for the victims.
- Acting to ensure the realization of family reconciliation, thus achieving justice, community safety, social cohesion, material & moral reparation for victims, restoring their honor and apology for them, treatment, rehabilitation and reintegration into society, abiding by article (32) of the Palestinian Basic Law and in pursuance of it.
- Unifying public ministerial and non-ministerial institutions, integrating staff based on national priorities and job needs rather than factional quotas, and drafting recommendations & proposals with respect to reforms in all areas.